For those of you that draft contracts you will recognise times when you spend longer than necessary to get all the information you need before drafting a contract. Whether you are in a law firm or in-house you will have ‘clients’ – they will either be customers of the law firm or those in businesses relying on the company’s legal function for their contracting needs. Either way though, time is lost gathering information from these clients.
Taking information from clients
The chances are that if you are in this boat then you may be using a Word document form that you’re sending out and hoping the client gives you everything you need. Not only everything you need is filled out but also that everything the client has added is correct or done properly. If you need to go back to them then there is a time-consuming to and fro of emails to get what you need – eating up time that could have been spent on other (possibly better) legal work.
It’s fair to say this approach to gathering information is on the whole quite inefficient. Even if you get everything you need from the client when you request the information as there will still be some double keying to be done when you get it back as the information received will need to be retyped into the contract you’re creating.
How Ment can help you (and your clients)
It doesn’t need to be like this – and thankfully the Word document way of gathering information is on its way out. So why are we talking about this? Well, there is a better way of doing it – one which allows the client to add information into an electronic form which then gets added straight into a drafted contract automatically. In other words, you can generate document(s) directly from client inputs, still staying in full control of the version actually going out. This can be done with Ment’s client-facing Link.
Streamlining the process
When sending Links to your clients your process can look something more like this:
- Lawyer needs to draft a contract and requires information from client
- Lawyer opens up Ment and creates a Link to the client-facing questionnaire (this can be a subset of all the questions that need to be asked to create the contract ie just the ones the client needs to answer)
- Lawyer sends Link to client via email
- Client then opens up Link and fills out the questions in a mobile optimised electronic form and submits back to Lawyer
- Lawyer gets notified that answers have been filled out by client and can then go in and review the client’s answers but also add any other information into questionnaire (if required)
- Lawyer submits questionnaire and creates first draft contract.
The Link therefore has the following benefits:
- The client fills in the requested information electronically straight into the Ment questionnaire, allowing the lawyer to review their responses and add what they need to draft the contract easily and without double keying;
- The fields in the questionnaire sent to the client can be restricted to only inputs you want them to fill out and can also include guidance – meaning less time spent asking clients to amend/add information;
- Contract drafting time is reduced as once the client has filled out their questionnaire the lawyer should have everything they need to create a first draft contract – streamlining the overall process; and
- This final benefit can’t be underestimated. Put yourself in the shoes of your client – are they going to want to download an attachment, rename it, fill it in, save it and send it back in this day and age? Probably not. Sending clients a link that allows them to easily fill out the questionnaire and submit it is much simpler. It will make their lives easier and they’ll appreciate it.
Interested in a demo of this feature? Then feel free to get in touch with us here.